Sega Amusement Machine Research and Development Department 2 (popularly known as Sega AM2 or simply AM2) is a research and development team for the video game company Sega. Originally known as "Sega Amusement Developing Section 8", AM2 was previously headed up by famed designer Yu Suzuki. Of Sega's AM teams, AM2 was the best known and would become a major development house for Sega, first creating the late-eighties classics After Burner II, OutRun, and Space Harrier, all of which were monster successes. Later AM2 would go on to create the Virtua Fighter and Shenmue series as well as Daytona USA.
Following the release of OutRun 2, AM2 was absorbed into Sega (July 1, 2004). Unlike most of the other old AM departments, it remains a separate division within Sega.
- Daytona USA (1993-1996)- Arcade, Sega Saturn, Windows, PlayStation Network, Xbox 360 (XBLA), Sega Dreamcast (remake)
- Hatsune Miku and Future Stars: Project Mirai (2012)- Nintendo 3DS
- Sonic the Fighters (a.k.a. Sonic Championship) (1996-2012)- Arcade, Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, XBOX 360
- Virtua Fighter 5 (2006-2012)- Arcade, PlayStation 3, XBOX 360
- Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (2012)- Arcade, PlayStation 3, XBOX 360