Volition is an American video game developer located in Champaign, Illinois. The company was created when Parallax Software was split into two companies, Volition and Outrage Entertainment, led by Mike Kulas in November 1996.
With Interplay Entertainment as a publisher, Volition developed the FreeSpace series of space simulation video games. When Interplay tumbled towards bankruptcy, Volition was acquired by THQ in September 2000. Since then, Volition has developed several acclaimed titles including the Red Faction series, the Summoner series, The Punisher, and the Saints Row series.
As part of THQ's bankruptcy and dissolution in January 2013, Volition was acquired by Koch Media which will publish its future titles under the Deep Silver label. Only the rights to the Saints Row series, and not other franchises, were included in the transaction.
When THQ filed for bankruptcy, many companies showed interest in the assets of THQ, especially since THQ announced that they will attempt to keep the jobs of their employees by selling their various assets. General manager of Volition Inc., Dan Cermak said that Warner Bros., Electronic Arts, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Koch Media, and an unnamed group from Chicago all completed site visits in the weeks preceding the sale. Eventually, Volition was acquired by Koch Media for 22.3 million dollars. None of the other companies that showed interest in Volition actually bid except for Ubisoft that bid 5.4 million dollars.
Volition was the second most expensive THQ asset sold during the auction (after Relic Entertainment). It is believed to be worth that much due to the past success of its games that made by the studios such as Saints Row: the Third. In early 2012, Saints Row: the Third sold around 4 million copies from its release date which was in mid November 2011. THQ also claimed that the game's downloadable content packages were performing much better than anticipated.
- Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War (1998)- Microsoft Windows
- FreeSpace 2 (1999)- Microsoft Windows
- Red Faction (2001)- Mac OS, N-Gage, PlayStation 2
- Red Faction II (2002)- Nintendo Gamecube, PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, Xbox
- Red Faction: Armageddon (2011)- PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
- Red Faction: Guerrilla (2009)- PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
- Saints Row (2006-2007)- Xbox 360
- Saints Row 2 (2008-2009)- PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
- Saints Row IV (2013)- PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
- Saints Row: The Third (2011)- PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
- Summoner (2000)- Mac OS, PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows
- The Punisher (2005)- PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, Xbox